The National Surveys on Energy and Environment (NSEE) was a biannual national opinion survey on energy and climate policy conducted by the University of Michigan and Muhlenberg College. The survey was launched in 2008.
Over the last 10 years, the NSEE has covered topics such as public policy approaches to address climate change including federal, state, and international action; energy policies such as cap-and-trade, carbon taxes, renewable energy requirements, vehicle emissions standards, and many more; and knowledge and attitudes about global warming, climate adaptation, and geoengineering. Since 2011, the NSEE has worked closely with researchers at the University of Montreal who conduct the Canadian Surveys on Energy and Environment (CSEE), fielding a number of identical survey questions. Run concurrently in the fall, these surveys provide a unique comparative perspective on public attitudes toward climate change and energy policy.
To celebrate the tenth anniversary of the survey, NSEE released a series of reports highlighting the breadth of topics we have covered over the past decade. These reports present time-series data on how attitudes about energy policy and climate change have changed since 2008, as well as comparisons between public opinion in the United States and in Canada.
Reports from NSEE@10
- Coal, Natural Gas, and Pipelines: 10 Years of Fossil Fuels in the NSEE (February 2018)
- Should State and Local Governments Address Climate Change? 10 Years of Climate Federalism in the NSEE (March 2018)
- American Opinions on Carbon Taxes and Cap-and-Trade: 10 Years of Carbon Pricing in the NSEE (June 2018)
- Fuel Economy, Electric Vehicle Rebates, and Gas Taxes: 10 Years of Transportation Policies in the NSEE (July 2018)
- Solar, Wind, and State Mandates: 10 Years of Renewable Energy in the NSEE (October 2018)
- Adaptation, Mitigation, and Geoengineering: 10 Years of Climate Action in the NSEE (December 2018)
- Belief (and Disbelief) in Global Warming: 10 Years of Attitudes about Climate Change in the NSEE (October 2019)
NSEE & CSEE Methodology Information
- See a complete list of past NSEE Publications
- See data tables for individual NSEE Survey Waves
- Download and analyze 10 years of NSEE data
Looking for More?
For more information on the NSEE@10 Project, contact CLOSUP staff at 734-647-4091 or firstname.lastname@example.org