The CLOSUP Energy & Environmental Policy Initiative
CLOSUP's Energy and Environmental Policy Initiative (EEPI), launched in the fall of 2012, is a program of coordinated activities designed to bring the latest academic knowledge to bear on issues of energy, environment, and climate policy. Through a combination of research projects, events, classroom activities, and publications, EEPI seeks to inform policy-relevant discussions among policymakers and other stakeholders with new research findings.
Under the direction of professor Barry Rabe at CLOSUP, and professor Christopher Borick at Muhlenberg College, one core set of research activities in the EEPI was a series of surveys of American public opinion, conducted jointly by CLOSUP and the Muhlenberg College Institute of Public Opinion (MCIPO). Originally known as the National Survey of American Public Opinion on Climate Change, as of fall 2012 this program of research was renamed the National Surveys on Energy and Environment (NSEE). NSEE included twice-per-year surveys in the spring and fall focused on climate change and a wide range of related issues under the EEPI umbrella.
CLOSUP's Fracking Project, part of the wider Energy and Environmental Policy Initiative (EEPI), launched in the fall 2012 with a survey on fracking in Michigan and Pennsylvania, part of the National Surveys on Energy and Environment. The Fracking Project included survey research, case studies, web-based information resources, policy events, and more, with the goal of informing policy debate around the issue of hyrdraulic fracturing for natural gas, more commonly known as "fracking."
The CLOSUP Wind Project, also part of the EEPI, aims to improve understanding of state and local policy issues related to utility-scale wind energy development. This project originated from three surveys conducted in 2013 and 2014-one of residents in the Great Lakes region, another of local officials in Michigan, and a third of farmland owners near four Michigan windfarms.
For more information on the CLOSUP Energy & Environmental Policy Initiative, contact CLOSUP staff at 734-647-4091 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Highlighted EEPI Publications
- See the new paper in Commonwealth, A Journal of Pennsylvania Politics and Policy: "Leaving Money on the Table: Pennsylvania Exceptionalism in Resisting Energy Severance Taxes" by Rachel Hampton and Barry Rabe
- See the new paper in Climate Change Economics: "Individual Discount Rates and Climate Change: Is Discount Rate Associated with Support for A Carbon Tax?" by David Amdur, Donald Dale, Christopher Borick, and Barry Rabe.
- See Prof. Barry Rabe's chapter "A New Era in States' Climate Policies?" in the new book by CQ Press and edited by Yael Wolinsky-Nahmias. Changing Climate Politics: US Policies and Civic Action is available from the CQ Press store and Amazon.
- See the recent article by Prof. Barry Rabe in the journal Governance: "The Durability of Carbon Cap-and-Trade Policy"
Energy & Environmental Policy Initiative in the News: Recent Coverage
- Energy News Network: Michigan utility’s first brownfield solar project highlights promise, challenges, Nov 4, 2019
- Publicnow.com: 'An Evening Of Denial' To Feature Advocates And Experts On The Impact Of The Rejection Of Scientific Knowledge, Oct 21, 2019
- USA Today: As climate threat looms, Texas Republicans have a solution: giant wind farm everywhere, Oct 18, 2019
- Bridge: Opinion | Wind turbines helping fund schools? It’s happening in Michigan, Aug 26, 2019
- ProMarket.org: Why American Voters Are Still Not Ready to Support Carbon Taxes, Aug 15, 2019
- E&E News: Dems need to flip Mich. Can EVs help them do it?, Jul 29, 2019
- Washington Examiner: Daily on Energy: Ohio’s new law a blow to renewable electricity mandate momentum, Jul 25, 2019
- E&E News: How climate change got labeled a 'crisis', Jul 10, 2019
- Voice of America News: Republicans Ran, But a Democrat Sank Oregon’s Climate Bill , Jun 27, 2019
- E&E News: Ore. debacle spotlights enduring divisions on climate, Jun 26, 2019
Energy & Environmental Policy Initiative Resources
- See the EEPI home page
- See the NSEE (Surveys) home page
- See the Fracking Project
- See the Wind Project
More on the Energy & Environmental Policy Initiative
- EEPI activities in the news, media, & blogs
- EEPI presentations
- EEPI newsletters
- EEPI reference materials